Tuesday, April 24, 2007

One of the measures I have always used to determine my level of acceptance in a group of sighted friends or associates is whether or not they will tease me or play little, harmless but funny tricks. I’m not talking about the sometimes snide, condescending remarks labeled “humor” and intended to belittle and hurt. I know all about those, but that’s a discussion for another time. I’m talking about things that are actually funny, and presented in good fun, equal to equal, not sighted superior to blind inferior. I delight in them, because they acknowledge my blindness *and* the fact that it is accepted as part (and not the most important part) of me. It also says something, I think, about the way I handle it, and acknowledges my own comfort level with my condition.

All this to introduce an incident that happened today at the shop...that still brings a grin, despite the fact that I’m exhausted. I have a motion sensor. It’s portable, which means I can put it where I need it to be, and I use it when stocking for running back and forth between the shop and the store room across the hall. If I have my head (and usually my upper body) inside a large cooler, all I hear is compressor noise, so I don’t know if someone has come in. Well, this little thing has a tone that sounds like the doorbell from hell …and it’s *loud*! Today, one of my customers picked it up, and followed me with it …wanting to see if I could tell it was moving. I could of course …but when I first heard it, I half turned, and must have had a fairly classic WTF look on my face, because the whole place burst into laughter, including me.

A very small thing …but it warmed my heart (and I’ll get him back, one of these days, just because I’m as mischievous as he is, and I owe him one!). Yes, I’m still laughing, just a bit.

On another front, but equally delightful, my helper left me a present! I knew about the piece of home baked pound cake …but I did *not* know about the sweet potato pie! And she baked it herself. I have, it would seem, birthday cake *and* birthday pie, too! Another customer and I had been talking about snowballs …you know, those sugar filled, definitely junk food, absolutely non-nutritious, chemical laden “cakes” that have cream filled cake, topped with marshmallow fluff and shredded coconut? Yeah, those! Well, she brought me 2 of them! And you know what? I enjoyed every bite, too! It might clog my arteries and lie dormant in my tummy, with a half life of 200 years …but I don’t care. Certainly, I wouldn’t want one every day …but every once in a long while, a lady just *needs* cream filling, wrapped in chocolate cake, wrapped in a layer of fluff, and covered with pink coconut!

Now …to figure out how other bloggers get pretty backgrounds, neat fonts, and all that good stuff!

Eleanora

2 comments:

Kether said...

We have two very close friends that are completely blind. Once my mom introduced them to one another and each man stuck out his hand and waited for the other to shake it. After a brief moment, they each started to move their hands a bit, to find the other's hand and that is when my mom said, "Gentlemen, you're both blind."
They cracked up laughing, as did she. I'm sure anyone from the outside looking in might have thought it was a mean spirited prank, but the guys are such good sports and seem to be like you and like for their blindness not to be the "elephant in the room."

I'm really going to enjoy your blog!

Snowrose said...

LOL!!!!!! I have got to tell Marc this one! He's going to love this one and I'm QUITE SURE (Now Quite sure is in CAPS!!!!!! LOL!!!!) that he's going to pull that same prank on you that the others pulled on you with the motion sensor thingie! LOL!!!!! You know Marc and his famous pranks... he'll never stop them! Your youngest niece went to meet Marc at work last week only to be confronted by workers telling her what we continue to hear for years and that is your father is in big trouble... he stuffed my shoes, locked me in another room, etc... They ask if they have permission to kill him! We always say please do!!!! They still haven't been able to outsmart him but one of these days they will. I just hope it involves food because that's where his weakness lies! LOL!!!!! Oh you certainly had a great treat! I forgot about the fluffy snowballs until you mentioned them! Wow.... pink coconuts... I never liked them... they certainly made me sick... I know my grandmother would have LOVED to have that! She lived for sweets. She certainly did. She was known for her lemon meringue pies, and so many other desserts. Now you've got me really hungry! Thanks love! Peach Cobbler anyone? I know what your oldest niece will be making tomorrow... actually later on today... Peach Cobbler! Yum! So simple and so delicious! Why do you do this to me? You torture me every single time you talk about food! LOL!
I'm still chuckling away with the prank pulled on you. I could just see your body in the freezer with tears strolling down dying laughing... that would have been perfect for Home's Funniest Video! LOL!
Oh! BTW, want me to add the picture of you from the Medieval Times? I'd be happy to do that unless you want to try it yourself? Just let me know!