Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I just finished reading LA Dead by Stewart Woods, and I enjoyed it. I’m about to start McNally’s Dare by Victor Sardo …and expect to enjoy that, also. One of the things I will enjoy is that, once again, I get to read about a character that continues from book to book. This means that there will be 2 story lines. The first, of course will be the mystery, but the 2nd will be the development of the main characters, their lives and interactions and such. I like this combination. If one keeps up with books about these characters, they take on depth and texture (if the author knows his/her stuff), and getting to know them is as much fun is watching them solve the mystery and deal with the villains (or have them dealt with, usually by law enforcement).

It seems that these continuing characters are a feature of “genre” fiction (I hate that term, but that’s a rant for another day). Sometimes it doesn’t work, because sloppy authors don’t keep track of what happens to the character, or when it happens, or because the author doesn’t balance plot development in the main story with character development. But when it works (and mostly, I’ve found that it does), it’s one of the joys of good “escape” fiction. I think all fiction is escape fiction, if it’s good enough, because it picks you up out of your day, good or bad, and drops you down in another place, time, and set of problems.

And …Eleanora’s proverb for the day …

She, who wears new, cheap shoes to work and has to stand up and walk a lot, will suffer for hours after she gets home!

Now...to find some pretties to give visual interest to this little endeavor!

3 comments:

Kether said...

That's one reason I really like Julie Smith's New Orleans mystery series. I feel like I've developed friends.
Its also a huge reason that I'm going to mourn Harry Potter....

Eleanora said...

Julie Smith is new to me ...I'll have to hunt up her stuff! Would you believe ...I've never read Harry Potter?????? Yes, I know ...I'll have to do that, certainly, LOL! Have you ever read the Menonite (sp?) mysteries? I can't think of the author at the moment, but the main character is a mature inn keeper, and she and her town full of characters is wonderful! So is Rita mae Brown (her animals talk (but only other animals understand them), and she paints a delightful picture of Central VA. I've seen that country, and it is as beautiful as she paints it!

Eleanora

Kether said...

Ohmygosh! Read Harry Potter! I love the books. They're not child-like at all, and if you love to root for an underdog they're fantastic.
I'll check out the Meonite mysteries. That sounds fuN!